Friday, November 13, 2009

Changes


(Brandon talking here, rare I know)
So this has been quite the week of changes for some of our friends. Some have gotten word of eventual loss of employment, others have gotten married, some having to seek medical aid, some just on the verge of venturing out on their own into the world.

Have you ever asked yourself what you would say to such people that go through so many changes in life? I am attempting to answer that right now.

Change can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Some changes are good, others not so much. Change can be unexpected and sneaky-like, and it can also be well anticipated and planned for, like a mountain which you can see far off that you know will eventually be your next path, or climb. It can also be dreamed of and sought for, and on the other hand it can be dreaded and fearful. Whatever shape or form change may take in your life, the main question is how do you deal with it?

I have always believed that the world is what we make of it. On a more personal level, I would take this phrase one step further to say YOUR world is what YOU make of it. I personally have experienced many changes in my life, some of them clearly unexpected, for better and for worse, sometimes so quickly that I have felt like my life was in high gear and often did I wonder in those times if I would ever be able to relax and get used to my new surroundings.

Those of you who may find yourself in a similar situation, or feel you can relate to the aforementioned description, may I suggest a few things that I found may be helpful in the stressful waves that change typically brings, whether for better or worse.

  • Go back to basics. Remember that there is beauty in simplicity. A lot of times in life we human beings (especially adults) tend to overcomplicate things. This can often be a tall order to some, who feel they have to juggle so many different thoughts, feelings, patterns of life, etc. at once. My dad once taught me a simple rule called K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid!
  • Remember that change is one of if not the only consistency in life. Change is not a new thing - we have always been around change. It's a part of our life.
  • Recognize that there are some things in life that just don't change all that often, if at all. However, don't think for one second that YOU are one of those unchanging things; deny it all you'd like. Human beings grow just like any other organism on this earth. That growth is change. How YOU grow mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and most of the time even physically, is entirely up to you.
  • Principles are some of the rarely changing essences in our environment. Some of these principles are good foundation builders to help establish yourself, as well as those around you. Some of those principles are Truth, Integrity, Knowledge, Hard Work, Desire, Humility, Discipline, Respect, and the list goes on.
I think it's quite safe to say that we all experience high's and low's at some point in time. Robert Frost once said, "Most of the change ... we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor." I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Money tends to influence the tides of change a lot these days, especially with the well known recession. Blame who you want, but perhaps the following quote might shed some light on your thoughts in case you have forgotten what REALLY influences change more than money:

"Money may be the husk of many things, but not the kernel. It brings you food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; acquaintances, but not friends; servants, but not faithfulness; days of joy, but not peace or happiness." ~ Henrik Ibsen

For those of you having a GREAT time right now because of that is going on right now... Congratulations! I am genuinely happy for you! Enjoy it; remember that tomorrow is another day. To those who may be reading this that are having a hard time right now because of all that change swirling about you... hang in there, tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've recently gained a new perspective because of the example and words of some wise men in my life. Sometimes I feel like I try so hard to do "exactly" what I think I should be doing. I try SO hard that I get stressed out over it...which is silly.

The Lord wants to bless us regardless of how "perfect" we think we are doing. This week I was told, "You can't just give, you have to recieve." It's so true. I'm learning to react to change and blessings (because I think they are one in the same more than not) in a way that will allow me to recognize and more fully RECIEVE the blessings that the Lord wants to give me. Thanks for the post Brandon! Thought provocing for sure.